Organization of the academic year in Poland (Higher Education)
The academic year lasts 10 months and is divided into 2 semesters:
1) Organization of the 1st semester (winter)
- Starts 01.10 and lasts until 15.02 or 01.03;
- Winter holidays from 22.12 to 04.01 or 10.01;
- Session from 01.02 till 15.02 or 20.02;
- Terms of reprinting (sesja poprawkowa): from 15.02 to 01.03;
Students who complete all exams and credits during the session (without re-assignment) may receive an additional 10-15 days of inter-campus holidays.
2) Organization of the second semester (summer)
- It starts on 20.02 or 01.03 and lasts until mid-June, the end of July;
- Session from 15.06 to 01.07 or 10.07;
- Summer holidays: from 01.07 to 30.09;
- The period of re-assignment may be included in the summer examination session, or postponed to September;
3). Additional information
Classes held during the school year:
- Lectures (wykłady)
- Practical (ćwiczenia)
- Optional (faculties)
- Examinations (Egzamin). Assessment form on a 5-point scale (grades 2 to 5)
- Call (Zaliczenie). Form of assessment – placing a mark in the book title: “zal” – the item is counted; “nzal” – the item is considered not to be counted.
Pay attention! In order to be admitted to the exam in the session, you will almost always have to count practical and lecture sessions. In order to go to the next academic year, all or almost all subjects taught in two semesters must be delivered.
- Retransmission (egzamin poprawkowy) – If a student fails to pass an exam / set-off during a session, he has the chance to reprint it for free. The number of re-assignments per subject depends on the university. Attention, all the following, except for the first retransmission, may be chargeable.
- Warunek – if the student could not count the item during the re-assignment given to him, he may make a statement to the dean’s office about the possibility of re-passing in the next semester. More precisely, the draft implies the transition to the next semester with the introduction of the subject from the previous semester. In most cases, it occurs along with the procedure of repetition of the subject. Is platinum.
- Repetition of the subject – A student who during the semester / annual session has not passed the subject (according to the main and reprint sessions) may be admitted to study the following year / semester with the requirement to repeat the subject. Repetition of the subject envisages a visit to take place in the next semester with an additional attendance of lessons. The number of subjects that can be repeated without the procedure of deduction or repetition of the semester / year is determined by the dean or the rector of the university.
- Repetition of the semester / year – occurs when the number of non-delivered subjects during the semester / annual session does not allow the student to continue his studies in the semester / year.